17 October 2007

North York, Ontario
I probably won't even get a chance to post this for another 2 weeks since I'm away from my home computer, but I thought I'd at least get one in while we're here. It's a strange time in the life of
9LoLMM. In the space of five days, my father was operated on for cancer and Leo's mother ended up in the hospital and is still there as we speak. Needless to say, while we're trying to get going on amassing funding for the show, our hearts really aren't into it. We're not giving up, mind you - but this isn't at all how we envisioned this trip to Toronto would be.

What's also contributing to things is that, on Saturday, I have to go down to Florida and take care of my Dad for a week. I don't mind; he's my father, after all. But it will mean Leo has to fly solo in terms of trying to get investors. The only thing for me is, it may give me a chance to work on this next rewrite. The big thing everyone goes on about is that the show's too long. I don't disagree. I suppose, for a two-part movie event, it isn't too long - look at
Anne of Green Gables! But, for a stage show, well...anyway, I was wracking my brain trying to figure out how to shorten things down without losing too much in the way of information and layers. And I think I finally have it, but it's got to be done just right - and I haven't had a chance to work that out yet. Plus, I'm really not in a creative space, either. Just too much going on, too much on my mind, and I'm feeling too down. Strangely, I understand how it was difficult for Maud to create during her various troubles - I understood it before, but it's especially relevant for me now.

I hope you don't mind my getting a bit more personal in this entry. But, I decided that if I was going to show you the good stuff, I had to show you the bad stuff, too. It's not all running around getting pictures taken and doing interviews and living
la vida loca. I didn't anticipate our family emergencies entering into the picture, but it's what's happening and it is having an impact on us. But rest assured - we still love 9LoLMM as much as ever and we're going to get this on next June come hell or high water.

Actually, I should mention that we briefly met with Kate Macdonald Butler and her associate Sally Cohen today; we hadn't seen them since our January trip. There may be something afoot in terms of a neat tie-in with the show, but I can't talk about it yet. I don't know if it'll happen, but we all seemed intrigued by the idea, so, if it develops any further, you'll hear about it right here.

I want to do a YouTube video from here, but...well, we'll have to see. Talking about this stuff over the computer is one thing; turning a camera on ourselves in the middle of this is another thing entirely!

Well, we shall forage on...I need to pull myself up somehow...it's just hard right now.

No comments: