28 August 2007

Stratford, Prince Edward Island
Well, I got a little morose after the last entry because I timed out the libretto after those extensive 10 days' worth of revisions and only got 26 minutes out of the thing. I was really feeling pretty fatalistic about it all. But...I got over it. :) Last week I took another whack at it, going over it with Leo, and I made another significant round of cuts. I haven't timed it, but I'm going to guess we lopped off another 15 minutes. At this point, I guess I'm leaving it alone, at least until after the workshop, unless something really inspiring comes along. We're told the date for the workshop will be 21 September. Stay tuned!

Leo and I are starting to spend more time at the Confederation Centre of the Arts. Yesterday we auditioned some of the kids and younger folks (it sounds weird to say that, since, at 38, I still feel like one of the younger folks!). Today we met with the cast of Anne of Green Gables en masse and individually in an effort to better determine who is right for which role. I've never been on that side of an audition table before, so it was definitely a different perspective for me. Fortunately, everyone was great, and we sort of have an embarrassment of riches in terms of talent, so getting all the roles cast shouldn't be too difficult. And, due to the scaled-down nature of the workshop, each person will be playing even more roles than they normally might. I find myself wanting to put off the casting task 'til tomorrow, since I haven't gotten enough sleep the last 3 nights and I'm totally dragging! But I'll at least start on it - after today, we definitely have a better idea, so it shouldn't be too hard from there.


Leo's preparation - in this case categorizing all the characters' music - knows no bounds.


The dream's first inkling of becoming a reality - 9LoLMM's casting session on the Confederation Centre's roster.

There is one more bit of news I want to mention, in the form of yet another announcement. Again, I didn't say anything about this before because I couldn't...but it's official: I will be presenting a paper at the Lucy Maud Montgomery Conference in 2008! As did all the other entrants, I submitted an abstract in June and then waited to find out who made the cut. I was a little worried because I chose what I thought might be considered a bit of an out-of-left-field slant (of course I'm not going to tell you what it is...not until the conference gets closer, anyway!). But it's been approved, and I guess I'll be writing the actual paper in the next few months. I really am starting to get the feeling that Maud herself is guiding things over here...call me crazy!

Well, on to casting...if I can stay awake, that is!

No comments: